Nasal mucus, in an ideal state is clear. It is only when clear nasal mucus begins showing streaks of yellow, brown or green that one needs be wary as a change in nasal mucus color may be a sign of the start of a sinus infection. Although less common, nasal mucus can become white in color.
The development of white nasal mucus can be a result of:
- Eating or drinking large amounts of dairy or dairy containing foods;
- Dairy and diary containing foods may also result in nasal mucus becoming stickier and thicker due to the fat found in these food items;
It is important to promote the drainage of thick, sticky nasal mucus caused by eating large amounts of dairy as any trapped or blocked mucus that is left untreated can result in congestion and difficulty breathing through ones nasal passages. Nasal congestion is often accompanied by fatigue, fever and sharp shooting pains commonly associated with a sinus attack;
- Cold weather and dry indoor weather may lead to the development of white nasal mucus as less water is consumed during these days making nasal mucus less liquid in nature and often thick and white in color;
- Any GERD or gastro-esophageal reflux disease can result in a rise of gastric fluids from the stomach. These acidic fluids often cause nasal mucus at the back of the throat to take on a white, frothy appearance. Burning in the chest or sternum region may also be felt as a result of GERD;
- An overuse of nasal sprays can lead to the development of white nasal mucus;
- Allergies can often be visible by the presence of white nasal mucus as allergies increase mucus production which may not be able to drain freely resulting in the drying out and stagnation of excess mucus;
- In rare occasions, children may stick small objects up their nasal passages. Any lodged foreign objects in the nasal passages may result in the development of white nasal mucus;
- Certain drinks like coffee, tea and alcohol have dehydrating properties and may cause ones mucus to become thick, dry and whitish in color;
- Certain medications may also cause a drying out of nasal mucus leading to a change in color from clear to white.
Common dairy and dairy containing foods include:
- Milk and Milk containing products;
- Cheese and cheese derivatives including ricotta cheese;
- Buttermilk and cultured cream;
- Whey products;
- Condense milk;
- Khava, of which milk is used in the production. Khava are Indian sweets such as pedha and gulab jamun;
- Butter and ghee, curds;
White nasal mucus is often inherently thick and tenacious. This makes it difficult for complete drainage to be achieved. Congestion, pressure, pain and sinus infections are often a result of nasal mucus that is unable to drain and is why it is important to treat thick nasal mucus before it is allowed to progress into more serious conditions such as a chronic sinus infection or bronchitis.
Remedies that help treat White Mucus
SinusWars70– offers long lasting relief from Congestion which can often result in the development of white and colored nasal mucus.
The SinusWars70 – OriNasal Clear Remedy assists in the removal or expulsion of trapped and stagnant nasal mucus thereby helping prevent this mucus from drying out and becoming white in nature. Stagnant nasal mucus also allows for the introduction of bacteria and fungi. It is this introduction that results in yet another color change, from white to yellow or even brown (Please take note, green nasal mucus is a sign of a more serious infection; refer to green nasal mucus).
The SinusWars70 – OriNasal Clear Remedy addresses congested and stagnant nasal mucus, no matter what stage your stagnant mucus has progressed to or what color your nasal mucus is.
SinusWars14 – Suitable for the treatment of General Sinusitis coupled with excess, stagnant, white to yellow nasal mucus.
Excess nasal mucus can be the start of an acute sinus infection or a result of other conditions such as GERD. SinusWars14 offers a complete treatment-link for the two causes of white nasal mucus by targeting stagnant and dried out white nasal mucus whilst assisting in the treatment of GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). Efficient removal of excess nasal mucus helps prevent drying out and stagnation thereby improving overall health to respiratory linings and nasal passages. SinusWars14 can be used successfully for the treatment of white nasal mucus even in the absence of GERD.
SinusWars1 – Recommended for excess nasal mucus which may be clear or white in color as a result of Allergies and Hayfever.
SinusWars1 assists in the treatment of allergies thanks to its natural anti-inflammatory properties which work to decrease sensitivity of the body to non-harmful stimulants. This regulatory property helps ensure histamine production and secretion are kept within normal levels, decreasing the severity of an allergy attack and reducing the amount of nasal mucus produced in response to the allergy. By decreasing sensitivity levels, SinusWars1 is able to lessen the occurrence of future allergy attacks.
SinusWars10 – This is also a suitable Homeopathic Remedy for the treatment of Allergies and Hayfever which may lead to the development of excess clear or white nasal mucus and comes in an easy to use spray bottle.
The addition of Pepper (capsicum) to the SinusWars10 nasal spray makes it suitable for use almost anywhere, with the liquid allowing for faster results.
The SinusWars10 Nasal Spray is however not recommended for children under the age of 6.
For further assistance or help in diagnosing your sinus condition please visit the Sinus Diagnostic Tool.